OSHA's Top 10 Violations for 2017 - Fall Protection Leads the List
Just last month, OSHA announced its top 10 most cited violations for fiscal year 2017. Patrick Kapust, deputy director of OSHA’s Directorate of Enforcement Programs, revealed the preliminary list at the National Safety Congress and Expo in Indiana on September 26th. The announced list was largely unchanged from fiscal year 2016, with Fall Protection leading the list again at 6,072 violations.
While the rankings for OSHA’s top 10 most cited violations typically don't vary much from year to year, there is a new addition to this year's list: Fall Protection – Training Requirements (1926.503). “One thing I’ve said before in the past on this is, this list doesn’t change too much from year to year. These things are readily fixable,” Kapust stated during his presentation. “I encourage folks to use this list and look at your own workplace.”
The Top 10 Most Cited Violations for 2017:
- Fall Protection – General Requirements (1926.501): 6,072 violations
- Hazard Communication (1910.1200): 4,176 violations
- Scaffolding (1926.451): 3,288 violations
- Respiratory Protection (1910.134): 3,097 violations
- Lockout/Tagout (1910.147): 2,877 violations
- Ladders (1926.1053): 2,241 violations
- Powered Industrial Trucks (1910.178): 2,162 violations
- Machine Guarding (1910.212): 1,933 violations
- Fall Protection – Training Requirements: 1,523 violations
- Electrical – Wiring Methods (1910.305): 1,405 violations
Are you up-to-date on all your fall protection needs? We offer fall protection that fits your workplace. Whether you need full body safety harnesses or a full tether track system, we have you covered.
OSHA requires that fall protection must be set up and available for the following work elevations:
- Four feet in general industry workplaces
- Five feet in shipyards
- Six feet in the construction industry
- Eight feet in longshoring operations
In addition to the requirements above, OSHA requires fall protection, regardless of the elevation, when working over hazardous or dangerous equipment and machinery. Keep your workplace safe, request a quote today.
Gorbel Tether Track Swing Arm System